Alternative things to do in Berlin


There's so much to see and do in Berlin, and it's easy to get caught in the tourist traps. As we'd managed to fit in most of the obvious sights on our visit last year, this time we wanted to visit some more alternative places.

This included a trip to two pretty different types of museum.

The first of which was the Computerspielemuseum which if you speak German (and maybe if you don't) is rather obviously something to do with computers - or more specifically computer games.

I was a little less enthused than Mr. H but it was more fun than I expected, and fabulously 'geeky'.


You can explore the history of computer games, but I found this a bit laborious - I just wanted to play! And with a range of retro (Atari anyone?) and some more modern games as well as a mini arcade with the classics such as Pac Man and Street Fighter you could keep yourself busy for hours.


 I took my chance to play Pac Man using a giant joystick  - who knew?!


Flattering, I know.

And, tested my skills on the dance mat.


But we also played some of the retro games and battled it out against each other, in a room that could have easily belonged to a teenage boy.


Equally geeky, was the Buchstabenmuseum, which is less obviously the Museum of Letters. It hasn't quite found a permanent home and may move around a bit so best checking where it is before you go. It's also only open on a Friday and Saturday 1pm-5pm so you would need to plan accordingly.

I think they've moved fairly recently so it's not quite all set up and they seemed in the process of setting up quite a lot of it, but we paid the 6.50 euro fee anyway (3.50 euro for students), and had a wander round the warehouse like rooms.




You can learn about the history of some of the letters and the premise is that they rescue old letters and neon signs, particularly as less and less businesses use this kind of signage anymore.


It was fairly small, and like I say not entirely set up, but if you have an interest in this sort of thing you could make the relatively short trip there. If anything, just to support the museum in what they are doing.

If nothing else it was a great backdrop for some pictures of my travelling outfit.


I bought my little Coach bag before we went. As we were only taking hand luggage I wanted something small that would hold passports and money and minimal items, and this was perfect.

Jeans and a light t-shirt were great for the warm, but overcast weather, and trainers were essential for all the walking. Plus the ubiquitous Raybans to finish the look. I definitely favour the monochrome look - particularly when travelling because you can mix and match everything!

Has anyone else visited any alternative sights in Berlin?

No comments